1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Too late for day lilies?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by campingshaws, Nov 11, 2014.

1. campingshaws

campingshaws Crossing the Road

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Sorry if this is the wrong place. I'm mobile and it's hard to see stickies and suggested posts on the mobile site.

I'm in southwest Louisiana, zone 9, and I was given a bunch of day lilies in shallow pots. That's as far as I got. I finally have time to put them in the ground today, but it's just a day or two ahead of a massive front that's bringing rain and below-freezing temps.

What can I do to keep from killing these things? I'm a total black thumb. I've tried googling, but can't find an answer.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Just get them in the ground. If they're alive now, they'll surely be OK in LA.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I'm in zone 4 and have a lot of day lilies. I've had them survive the winter as a clump that has been dug out of the ground and left sitting on top of the ground. There are many varieties of day lilies, some of which are called evergreen. I think they do better in the more southern climates. My daylilies go dormant in the winter. From my experience, the only thing that will kill a day lily is to let it get too dry, but I have no experience with southern daylilies. Get them in the ground, and water them well. Enjoy!

4. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Thanks so much y'all! I was worried about them having enough time to get established before the cold weather, but it sounds like they're pretty hardy. My kind of plant! :D

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You don't really call that cold do you? [​IMG]

6. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

I have thin southern blood, so definitely!! Last year I spent Christmas with the inlaws in Iowa and the HIGH temp was -14. And I made sure everyone knew I'm a delicate flower. ;)

But really, last year a hard frost very nearly killed my grapefruit tree (because I didn't think to cover it), so I'm just not sure what plants can tolerate or can't.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Iowa gets real cold.

I was in the army at Fort Polk in December way back when. We had a 1" wet snow and the locals freaked. They asked for volunteers among the troops with experience driving in snow. Us northerners each were assigned to a civilian. We drove them home in their car, went back to the post, the next morning we went back to their house and picked them up for work.
    I thought it was insane but real easy duty.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

8. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

Haha, exactly. I was lucky enough to spend my late teens in central Kentucky, so I learned how to drive in sleet and snow. It's funny to laugh when they close the town for a light dusting, and I'm just driving around like I own the place. Last year trying to get to my FiL's driveway was a prayerful experience. The ice was thick and clear, like glass. We slid in sideways and pretended it was on purpose. :lau

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Stunt driver.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by