too late for Fluffems... and his squeaky rooster crow

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hotcut, Jan 19, 2015.

1. hotcut

hotcut New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Our rooster, Fluffems, just died.
    He had lost his voice a day or two ago. His crow was weak and squeaky. I figured he had a cold or something like that. He really seemed pretty good... just as feisty as ever, yesterday. I let the chickens out this morning and he was slow to come out. That should have got my attention, but it didn't. My mind was elsewhere.
    We found him dead in one of his favorite spots to hang out with his hens. His comb and waddles look bluish.
    Any Idea what might have done him in?

Thanks, Henry

[​IMG]

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I'm afraid I've no idea why he died, but wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Losing the voice and squeakiness could possibly point to a respiratory infection, but that is just the first thing that comes to mind.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did you notice any nasal or eye drainage or bubbles, cough or sneeze, or rattles in his breathing? Aspergillosis from mold spores in the environment can cause silent gasping, and a loss of voice. Other respiratory infections such as MG, coryza, ILT, and bronchitis can also cause respiratory symptoms. If you notice anyone else showing symptoms, I would get some Tylan 50 injectable, and treat only the sick ones with 0.2 ml per pound of weight, given orally for 3-5 days. You can also give it as a shot. Sorry for your loss. Here is a link to read about those diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  4. hotcut

hotcut New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Thank you Eggcessive and DylansMom.
    I think he had some kind of respiratory illness. Maybe I'll figure it out yet, with your help. I'll check out that link to the diseases. I'll post any answer I come up with...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by