Too late for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by AdoAnnie, Jun 17, 2011.

1. AdoAnnie

AdoAnnie Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2011
    A local farmer has 2.5 week old Royal Palm and Narragansett crosses for sale. I have chickens and ducks and have really wanted to get a few turkeys. Is there enough time to raise these poults for Thanksgiving?

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Well, it depends on what you want. They will not be very meaty by then with small legs and breasts.

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    May 10 is about the latest birthday that I like to see for palms and narragansetts. It seems you can get away with another week or so for standard bronzes. I think the birds you described will be awesome at Christmas, though.

4. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    I didn't realize that turkeys needed such a high protein diet, mine have been getting Nutrena meat-bird which I believe has 22% protein since I brought them home as day olds (april 30). They have been doing fine but I also want birds for Thanksgiving and want them bigger than a chicken! I did switch to a game-bird feed that is 30% to try and bulk them up. I do plan on keeping a couple for breeding and I don't know if this diet would harm breeders in the long run.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I suspect it's too late for Thanksgiving/ Christmas turkeys, but I'm determined to hatch some anyway. Nothing's stopping me from having Valentine's day turkey!

-S

6. homestead tim

homestead tim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I'm getting mine from a farmer that does 150 per year. I wont get them till mid-July. He said he does them late because they will get too big. Now i'm worried.

7. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:They are either broad breasted white or bronze turkeys. they can be ready in 4-5 months with no problem.

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:Broad breasted grow at twice the rate of a heritage turkey which we are talking about.

9. BullCreek

BullCreek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Quote:Broad breasted grow at twice the rate of a heritage turkey which we are talking about.

Thanks for posting that bit of info. We got our first turkeys this year, from an est hatch date of 5/19. 4 bb white, 2 bb bronze, a palm and a rio. It seemed the palm and rio were growing much more slowly. Good to have that verified.

10. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Quote:Our former neighbor did a run last year (not sure breed), waited too long and ended up with HUGE birds. He had to ask us to store a couple for a few weeks and we only fit 2 our in our mid-sized freezer. I would have bought one but there was no way it was going to fit in my oven!!

I'm picking up some 3/4 week narraga... (sorry spelling) today, so there is no chance they will be ready for Canadian Thanksgiving then?
    Boo, I guess we'll have to buy one for thanks, and we'll have ours for xmas then [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by