Too late for water belly?

mariannebrown

Hatching
Nov 5, 2015
I have a 18 month old Silver Laced Wyandotte that started acting sick last week. Her wattle got pale and she just stood around in the run not doing much except fluff up her feathers a bit. Still ate and drank and layed but not much pep. She's progressed to where her wattle and comb are bluish, she wasn't eating this morning and she's swelled up terrible - even stumbling when she walks. She does leave the coop and isn't totally lethargic but I'm wondering if it's too late for her - she seemed to be showing distress when breathing this morning - nothing extreme but her whole body moves when she breathes. Should I try to drain her or put her down? We're leaving for vacation in 2 days and I don't want something to happen while we're gone.

Heart disease can produce the signs you are seeing - poor circulation, weakness, fluid retention, breathing issues. Most birds will not show signs of illness until they are very sick. Can you separate her in a smaller area, near the other birds so that she doesn't get stressed, with her own food and water while you are gone?

I could put her in a cage in the coop. If I were going to be here I'd bring her in the house. From what I understand, some recover temporarily but sometimes death comes quickly and I don't want my "chicken-sitter" to have to take care of her if she'd get worse. I guess there are not ways of knowing if she'll improve or not. .

Back
Top Bottom