Too late in the year to get more day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommyoftwo, Aug 21, 2013.

1. mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Is it to late in the year to get more chicks? Their someone a few hours from me selling easter eggers chicks that lay blue eggs for 1.00 each. I have 5 almost 20 week old pullets and a rooster the same age. They will all live in a 5 by 13 coop with a 10 by 30 run. That is until the garden is done and then they will also have n extra 13 by 40 feet run too. They all will be allowed outside during winter.

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    No it's not. Give them heat, water, and feed and your good to go any time of year.

2 people like this.
  3. mommyoftwo

Mar 25, 2013
    Do j have to keep them inside or can I keep them outside with a light? I dont think My youngest son could handle them inside our little home with all the pine bedding. Other thinking I can use instead of pine bedding?

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You can keep them outside in part of the coop as long as you have a way to keep them at the temperature they need while they are little. You'll have to keep them separate from your other chickens for a couple of months anyhow until they are big enough to integrate with the ones you already have. It is still pretty early in the year and they should be fairly well feathered before winter really sets in. Sand is another bedding that works, it is not as dusty as pine and fairly easy to clean if you keep after it. A lot would depend on how many chicks you intend to get. Chicks themselves produce a lot of dust, especially when they are growing feathers.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

You can use paper towels or straw/hay on the bottom of the brooder.

You can use a cardboard box for a brooder. You can have a light hanging on one end of the box. Just make sure there is enough space so that the chicks can move away from he light if they get too hot.

And you need chick feed and water. Make sure you have a waterer where the chicks can't fall in and drown. This can simply be a pan with rocks and water in it. The rocks prevent chicks from falling face first into the water and drowning.

The brooder can be anywhere in which animals can't get to the chicks. If you can keep the brooder in the house, that is just added protection.

Do you know where you will buy chicks? What type of chicks do you want?

6. mommyoftwo

Mar 25, 2013
    Their is a farm about 2 1/2 hours away that has Easter eggers for 1.00 each strait run. Were planing a trip up to grand rapids in a few weeks to go visit the zoo up their. The blast time we had chicks was April and I keep them in the shed (no heater) in a watermelon box. The box is about 4 x4 and 2 ft high. I can get them everyday we toss them out when the store empty them. Can I use shreaded paper? I have an unlimited supply of store ads, newspaper that I can shred. I was tho king of using it in my nesting boxes since it free.

7. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    all I can say is it's never too late in the year for chicks go get those 1.00 chicks and bring them home just make sure they have heat for the first two weeks but if there older chicks they will be fine in the shed and of cause you can use shredded newspaper I'm sure the chicks will love it [​IMG]

8. Krazzy

Krazzy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Indiana
    its not 2 late. i just got more chicks yeasterday.

9. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    I got some yesterday too

10. mommyoftwo

Mar 25, 2013
    They will be less than a week old. It just depends on when they hatch and what day is my day off for the week. Can I keep them outside in a coop with a light or put then in the shed. When can I put them outside all together. I know I can add them to my pullets and rooster I have now until their bigger but I was thinking of building a small fenced pen for them. Will chicken wire keep the bigger chickens from the chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by