Too late to get babies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ErinG, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    We were going to order chicks this spring, but decided we were too busy. Things have slowed down now and we want to get 20 CX and 5 chicks that will be laying hens. Murray McMurray still has chicks and I'm wondering if it's too late to order (in terms of weather). We are in the gorge in Oregon, last year it got very cold in early Nov. (down to 15) but that was not normal. Average low for Nov. is normally 34. If we get them the week of August 29th is that going to be hard on them to move them outside?
    Cornish X we will order all males, so they will be ready earlier. Other chicks we will raise in the garage, so cooler than the house. Is there anything I'm not thinking about that is a downside to starting this chickens this time of year?

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    You should be fine.

3. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That's what I wanted to hear [​IMG] I have baby fever!

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Won't your Cornish X's be processed by November? I thought it was about 49 days or so...

5. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    We were looking at a 8/24 hatch date, so it would be about the first week of Nov. I think we are going to wait until spring, it's just a few weeks too late I think to get our layers big enough before the cold weather hits. I'd hate to put that stress on them just because I wanted to raise chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by