Too late to get my chicks to let me hold them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaryLouise, Apr 13, 2012.

1. MaryLouise

MaryLouise New Egg

Nov 4, 2008
    Woodland, WA
    Hi,
    I have 5 Australorps that are 3 weeks old and 5 Buffs that are 2 weeks old. We put them together on a few days ago and they are doing great. My question is I didn't pick them up a lot when they were tiny. Can I get them to come to me and let me hold them and pet them? Or is it too late for that? I really want pet chickens. I just didn't realize I needed to play with them so young.

Thanks for the help!
    Mary Louise

2. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought some chicks that were 4-5 weeks old. They have come around. It can be done. Just spend time with them, give them treats. The more you are around them the more they'll learn to trust you. Good luck!

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    That will change. Mine started to really like my wife and I at about 3 weeks old. Buff Orps and Australorps. We gave them some meal worms(Chicken Crack) and they went NUTS. After they realize that those giants bring tasty morsels from time to time they will be all over you. They perch all over my wife, and they darn near run me over when I enter the run. Sit down in the run with them and treat them to some mealies, they will love you.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. MaryLouise

MaryLouise New Egg

Nov 4, 2008
    Woodland, WA
    Thanks so much for the input. I put in a couple of tiny worms yesterday and they loved them of course. I'll look around for meal worms. My local feed store doesn't have them but I'm sure I can find them online.

5. linkedsilas

linkedsilas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Durham,NC
    you can also get mealworms at the pet store

6. annamcc314

annamcc314 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Van Buren, AR
    My local Tractor Supply has them too

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Never too late...........I have bought many birds as pullets or even egg laying adults, and all have got tame enough to let me hold them in the end.

8. ButchGood

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    My birds go crazy over the dried meal worms. The cheapest I found them was at Wallmart in the wild bird feed section. They sell them to feed and attract bluebirds.

1 person likes this.
  9. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    If you have Lowe's Home Improvement stores, they have the mealworms in their bird feeder section. My two week old chicks - who ran from me a couple days ago - jump into my hand to see if I have any! The adult roos coo, and the hens swarm for them, also. I may have to start a meal worm farm!

10. ButchGood

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas

I am going to start a meal worm farm. I saw were I can get lit 2 or 3 thousand of them for 27 bucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by