Too late to let her hatch them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cannuck, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Cannuck

Cannuck New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Hello, I'm a pretty new chicken mommy and to BYC. These forums are just great for answering some of my questions and learning stuff for later on. But I can't seem to find a post that will answer my question. I have a one year old sultan hen that I found sitting on 7 eggs yesterday morning! 4 are large and 3 were small so I cracked the small ones (apparently they don't do as well as the normal sized ones?) and there was the "bulls eye" on the yolks that I learned about on here. So the big question is, is it too late in the year to let her hatch them? I live in Canada and winter's coming up fast!

2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I had a hen once that hatched eggs in January, during a week when we had a foot of snow and single digits. I live in NC, so it's certainly NOT Canada. Do you have someplace where she can keep them warm? They don't need to be brooder warm because they have her, but they don't need minus 25, either.

3. Cannuck

Cannuck New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    I was thinking about building some sort of brooder pen inside my coop. It's nice and warm during the day here and a bit chilly at night but I won't be putting a heat lamp in there until it starts getting closer to freezing at night. What sort of temp. should I be maintaining inside the coop in the winter? How big should this brooder pen be? Thanks for all your help possumqueen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by