1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Too Late to Prepare Incubator for Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wsdareme, Jun 21, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    My husband called yesterday while I was at a horse show and told me to get home ASAP as my eggs were starting to pip and he could hear chirping. Yesterday was day 1 and I wasn't expecting any action until today (Monday). I left before lock down, so the incubator was not prepared for the hatch (removing the egg ring and putting in a paper towel). I have a Brinsea Mini Advance (manual humidity control). My question is: Is it too late to take off the lid, remove the egg turning ring and put a paper towel down to help the chicks get traction (and keep the incubator cleaner)? My husband did lift the lid on day 1 in order to fill both sides of the water reservoir, but it has not been lifted since. I don't want to shrink-wrap any chicks. Can I do what needs to be done without jeopardizing my hatch? Or should I just forget about it and wait to see the outcome? Also, several eggs have started to pip -- just small bits of shell pecked away, with one egg having a hole to the outside (I think that's the one that is peeping). Should I worry that there has been no progress in the last 8 hours? This is my first hatch and I don't want to do anything wrong! [​IMG]

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    It is okay to lock down a few days early now you shouldn't open it just make sure the turner is off and wait for your fluffy chicks oh and right now they are absorbing the yolk so it seems nothing is happening it can take 24 hrs from pip to zip.My last hatch I was worried no pips that I saw at 6:30am and at 10am I had a chick then I noticed another pip and it took until late at night for that one to hatch...they don't have a time clock

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Well, from the time I posted my original questions until now, one chick is out, another is getting close, and a third is working hard. The first chick has no room to even stand up. Am I right to let it flounder around until a couple more hatch and get dry and fluffy, then move them to the brooder??

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    It's hard work getting out of the egg. How many do you have in there? When they are pipped it is bad to open it where I live no humidity but I have read of people making their bathroom hot and steamy to take them out without shrink wrapping them in I have never tried it. I just wait until all but one or two have finished and then I only have a couple to help.

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I am certainly getting an egg-ucation this morning (sorry). The first chick is getting strong enough to flounder around over the other eggs, and that is really stimulating a couple of the others, who have just freed themselves from their shells! I can see a couple more actively working, so hopefully they'll hatch without problems. Only one egg that looks like a dud (I'll give it plenty of time, though, in case it's just a slow hatcher). I have seven eggs in the incubator, and it looks like I might get 5-6 healthy chicks. That would be awesome! I'm in my fifties, but I'm sitting there like a big-eyed child watching them hatch!

6. Debbi

Debbi Crowing

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    How exciting for you!! Funny you should say that about being in the 50s and watching like a kid. I just set my first ever batch too, nine days left to go! When I first put them in the bator, I couldn't take my eyes off of them. Felt like a toddler watching TV, with the nose almost up against the screen! LOL. Did I think they would hatch faster? No. Did I think they were going to dance or I'd miss something? No. I had to make myself back away from the bator! I still check on them at least 20 times a day, and can see me doing it more the closer it comes to hatch time. 57 here, and feel like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas! Sounds like you are having a great hatch, congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    OK.I've got to get in on the fun...........
    I'm 66,got pips last night, stayed up till 2:00 a.m.
    Feel like crap today....lol
    Keep telling myself I will only check once every half hour...go to check and discover it has only been 10minutes.
    Do want to mention that both of my last hatches, I had one hanger oner till day 25..........
    Almost threw them out.
    Good Luck and Have fun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: