Too late to water-seal chicken run structure?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frog522, Jun 21, 2010.

1. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    A question has been eating at me for some time now...I just recently built a chicken run with wood (duh [​IMG]) and hardware cloth. At the time I was hurrying to get the run done. It hasn't rained yet but I am concerned that I should have sealed the wood (is this the right terminology? I am total foreign to many things in the hardware store...) beforehand.

Is it too late to seal the wood? Can I just brush on the sealant onto the wood and some of the parts that have hardware cloth covering the wood? I'm hoping that if I can do it (and it's not toxic to chickens) then the run will last longer.

Any suggestions on what kind of product to use to keep the wood from absorbing water and becoming weathered?

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If you have a non toxic sealer you can seal it anytime. In fact it's something you have to do every year or so. Just make sure the birds are out until it dries.

Have fun

Rancher

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What rancher hicks said [​IMG]

Pat

4. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    What Pat said....

5. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Despite my repeated advice to stain before adding the hardware mesh, that did not happen when my run was built. There's a little stain on the wire, but it doesn't look so bad. Unfortunately, my orpington who is fearless and curious has a few "orange" splashes on her now. I just went to home depot and got a stain/sealant that matched my coop. Someone painted it with a little roller brush and paint brush. It's hot and dry here and I think it dried in less than a day. I'm really sensitive to smells and I didn't notice any residual smell by the next day. It's my understanding you stain/seal it to preserve or attain the color you want and so the wood doesn't warp and rot.

6. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Ooo...thanks for the replies. What recommendations do you guys/gals have for brand(s) of sealants?

7. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    I like to use a water-based primer like Kilz, then a thick coat or 2 of latex paint.
    If your chickens eat any of that, they will be fine.

If you use oil-based stains or sealers, you could have problems if they eat it or from the fumes if in enclosed area.

I also used a roller, and painted the 1/2" wire cloth too.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    thompsons water seal

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I like plain ol' linseed oil, mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. The mineral spirits helps the oil soak into the wood.

10. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Quote:I never thought of that before for an outside structure. How often do you have to redo it? I've gotten linseed oil in art supply stores but is it available too in hardware stores?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by