too late

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by davecash, Oct 25, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    is it too late to incubate baby chicks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Never too late, LOL! Actually, it depends on how long you want them in the house and where they will go after that, since the weather is turning much cooler. Some people hatch year round.

3. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    For the last 2/3 years in a row I had chicks in the house every day of the year. and eggs euther under a hen or in the incubator. IT GOT WAY OUT OF HAND - I was hooked and had to kick myself in the butt to stop, it was hard but I only hatched one batch of chicks this spring. A mixture of my eggs and others,
    Now I am hatching my secound batch of chicks from my top show winners and the hens that I think are getting to old and either may stop laying or not make it threw this harsh winter so I do not loose thier bloodlines. THEN I will hatch out another batch on Feb 14th.
    I guess the answer is GO FOR IT if you can manage them.
    :)

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got eggs in the incubator right now. I may kick myself later when cold weather really hits. I've never hatched this late in the year, so we'll see how it turns out. I figure tho they'll be ready to lay when the nice warm spring weather comes ...IF it's not like my last hatch...only 2 pullets!!!!

5. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I think ya'll should just invest in some little chicken diapers and enjoy the new hatchlings during the winter in your house!! Just kidding!

6. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    we are hatching now. I intend to keep them indoors till they are fully feathered and then put them out in the coop (likely with a heat light)

But who knows if only one or two hatch well i think they'll be indoors for a lot longer

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

As much as I love my chickens and ducks, I'm gonna have to pass on the diapers!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by