Too late?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ailsaek, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ailsaek

ailsaek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Sharon, MA
    Most of my chicks are eight weeks old tomorrow. I had read that eight to twelve weeks was the time to start making friends with them, but I've read on here of people who sit with the babies in their laps, etc., and whose chicks are glad to see them and cuddly as little ones, etc. Mine are generally only really happy to see me and willing to be picked up when it's nightfall, and even then, they sometimes bite. Is it too late to tame them? [​IMG] They're two Blue-Laced Red Wyandottes, a Silver-Penciled Wyandotte, and a Golden Campine cockerel.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's never too late (or too early) to start making friends with a chicken. Can you sit with them when they are outside? Talk quietly and move slowly. Make sure they have to come to you for treats. Don't just toss treats to them or leave the treats for them to find. They are already familiar with you, so it shouldn't take long for them to figure out that making friends with you has it's benefits.

3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    i don't think its too late but every spare minute you have i would hold them, you'll probably have to dedicate a little more time since the age. like when i am on the computer i hold them , or even when i'm reading a book..i would suggest getting something to hold their poop though,lol.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I hold mine all the time...every day! They are all very nice but they do peck at you sometimes. Once i pick mine up they don't peck AT ALL tho. And when i slowly put my hand in the brooder they all come running with their chest sticking out rubbing up against my hand wanting to be picked up. SO SWEET! They will come around...just keep picking them up. They love to have their chests rubbed!

5. ailsaek

ailsaek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Sharon, MA
    Chests! OK, I'll try that. I'd been petting their backs and wings. And my one Brahma is much younger, so maybe I can get her not to be scared of me soon too.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Some of my most high strung chicks have gotten progressively tamer and more relaxed as they matured over their first year. I don't think it's ever too late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by