Too long between internal and external pip?

allergymama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Michigan
Internal pip was last night 11pm (mixed breed goose). I can see them working at an external pip now, but they still aren't through 8pm. Should I try to poke an air hole? Everything I've read says should be 4-12 hours from internal to external.

Worried goose mama!

I am stressing about this again. Now I'm at 39 hours since internal pip. One is externally pipped and the other three seem to be tapping very weakly.

Weak tapping may mean you need to try and intervene or most likely it is too weak to get out..... that said... maybe it just needs a little help (there are threads here on how to intervene).... it may be defective or just a bit weak ...shell could be too thick, or number of things. I had this happen, I will give some assitance.... that said, I have had a couple defective ones, and one die.... others were fine...

Allergymama, did you help them?

I ended up not helping. I (literally) sat on my hands to make that happen (and had to leave the house at one point because it was making me so stressed out. Lol)

The last to hatch had a rough time and was very weak, but by the following day you couldn't tell her apart from the others. (And by the way they are huge already at 1.5 weeks.)

I have some doing the same thing!! I did poke them a "safety hole" and I'm checking on them every few minutes. This is so stressful!! Lol I'm so glad yours came out ok!! It gives me hope!

I have some doing the same thing!! I did poke them a "safety hole" and I'm checking on them every few minutes. This is so stressful!! Lol I'm so glad yours came out ok!! It gives me hope!
I was a nervous wreck! I wish you the best of luck with yours!! Post a pic here when they're out
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom