Too many birds, need more roost space.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RichnSteph, Mar 23, 2015.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    I have 11' total feet of roost space and now have 19 chickens (chicken math, you've heard of it) so I need to create some more roost space. I can go a little higher in the middle of the coop with another 5' roost but won't all the birds fight over the higher spots? I could probably put two 5' roosts higher up but putting poop boards under them would all but close off the floor space. We are planning on adding another 7x10 section to the coop and revamping the roosts but that's a few months off and I don't want our birds fighting at night or (and this is the part that drives me nuts) sleeping in the nesting boxes and pooping all in there.

Advice?

RichnSteph

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    birds definitely prefer to roost up higher, but I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot as long as there is room for them all, the more dominant birds will take the spots they want and the rest will just have to settle for something a little lower.

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    ^^what he said^^

most likely they already know the pecking order, so if the top birds want the higher spots, they'll take em and won't care what the others think, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by