Too many boys...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickensXOXO, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    This year I had so many cockerels born it was unreal (very few pullets), and I managed to somehow get it down to just a few.

I knew I still needed to get rid of a few more, but it's down to my favorites now, and it's getting harder.

Well, as of yesterday, my perfect two boys decided they now hate each other after being together for 2 years.

I'm thinking since I have too many boys at the moment, they just turned on each other..... [​IMG]

Now I'm not sure what to do... I am still going to rehome a few more cockerels, but what about my main boys?!

Have they turned on each other for good??? I would really hate to rehome either one of them, but I do know which I would keep...

Still the thought of getting rid of either sucks, but I hate to do separate pens, as my chickens free range...

Here's a picture of my beloved two... they always got along soo well.
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow. they really are pretty, but you can't have them fighting all of the time.

Usually it only takes a few days and they'll figure out who is boss and stop the fighting.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well give each their harem, and alternate days of free ranging. SpeckledHen alternates, I think I'm going to have to too.

4. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Thanks, I adore both of them, but the one in front, Dumplin, is the sweetest, little boy.

The other one can be a little aggressive, but this is the first time towards Dumplin.

I like the idea of alternating! Dumplin is penned up now, so I'll switch them later.

Also, if I can get rid of a few more, I might try to let them back together some and see how they do.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It's possible the young cockerels are what's causing it. I've had a mature rooster change his behavior when young cockerels start taking an interest in the girls. I think he was driven batty trying to protect his girls from ambush. The young ones would approach the hens and the hens would run to the adult rooster for protection.

It is also possible one or more of the younger ones are trying to challenge the top roosters for dominance, which might be stirring things up between the top two. New roosters in the flock are going to change the flock dynamics. It is possible the top two will work things out without hurting each other, but I'd separate the younger ones to try to make that easier. Whether that is penning them up getting rid of them is up to you.

6. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Quote:Thanks. I just posted some cockerels for sell, so hopefully, I can get it down to a better number.

I do plan to try to keep those two roosters... Fingers crossed things go back to normal once the others go! [​IMG]

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We are getting ready to get rid of allllllllll of our extra roosters in one fell swoop. I can't wait to taste 'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by