1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too many brodies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rssnbabybear, Apr 14, 2016.

1. rssnbabybear

rssnbabybear Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm in a predicament. I just reworked my two coops and nest boxes and my broodie house. More space=yeah. I put two of my broodies in the broodie house. I can put one more there if I have too. I have 16 hens total and about 8 of them are broodie. I only have a space to break 1-2 of them. I have the regular coop quarantined off so my turkey can have time to set on her nest. A couple broodie chickens keep pushing her off. What do I do?my other coop just got a whole round of meat chicks so I can't use it. The weather is supposed to be good and they have a small shelter. Will they break if I just leave them outside?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Mine do. That was the way I handled my first couple before I built my broody breaker.

3. rssnbabybear

Mar 1, 2016
    Sorry, just to clarify. Yours do what? Push each other off the nests? Or leave them outside?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  4. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    You asked if they would break if you left them outside. Mine do. First couple broodies I had, I just locked them OUT of the coop and run for a couple days and that took care of it. Later that summer I built a little broody breaker for them.

5. rssnbabybear

Mar 1, 2016
    Thanks. I was hoping that would work. I usually put them in the broodie breaker, but since I have so many that are running over the top of each other, I decided to let them brood in there. Plus I'm going to set eggs in the bator so im hoping the will each sertogate a few chicks when they all hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by