Too many chicken playdates!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TinyLittleFarm, Jul 17, 2010.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    We have neighbors with chickens two houses down, about 1/4 mile. Our chickens have started walking through the wood that runs behind all the houses to hang out at their house. They have about 30 chickens and piles of treats everywhere. I can't blame my chickens...looks like fun. The neighbors don't care if they wander down there, but I'd really prefer our chickens to stay in the yard. Short of locking them in the coop or building a giant fence, is there anything I can do to encourage them to stay and compete with the free choice scratch bin?

2. Clearly, you need piles of treats, too!

3. chickenlover98

chickenlover98 Songster

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    ^^^ I agree!

4. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    But I thought it was bad to let them have unlimited access to scratch and bread? But I guess we'll have to try it. I miss my babies!

5. My babies have a feeder of scratch in the chcken barn. I give them all JUST enough to get through the day a the Guinea feist at roost time.

Can not say it keeps them from wondering off though.

I would try a feeder in a sheltered area and see what happens.

Could be your babes are just a bunch of wash board hens that like to gossip with the neighbors !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by