Too many chickens in this coop ????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Miz Mary, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    There are 6 Rhode Island Reds in here .... is that too many ?!?! I just inherited this set up ......
    [​IMG]

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Those look like sex link. What are the dimensions of the coop and run underneath?

3. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    I consider it way too small for six. Unless you move it every fifteen minutes..... : )

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Can you move it each day to fresh ground? Looks a little tight for 6 full sized hens.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This is basically a covered cage. The birds will really fight boredom. Yes, they are red/gold sex links, not RIR.

6. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    It's 51/2 feet x 8 feet .... I thought it was too many hens here too ..... you think the are red sex links ?! I wasnt convinced they were RIR either .....

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would buy some fencing and give them a bigger area to run around in during the day. You are in the Pac NW like me,so the actual coop might be plenty of room for sleeping and laying...can't really tell from the pic. You only need a couple of nest boxes, and a place for them to huddle at night.

During our rare cold days when they want to stay out of snow, you can cover the underside of the coop with tarps to give them a windbreak (I recommend this anyway if they are always in the cold wind as they love a windbreak in the winter).

If you do make a run you might consider hawk attack possibilities...you can put up fruit tree bird netting but the snow will bring it down. I use it during the spring, summer, and fall for young birds. They do sell heavy knotted type netting with snow load ratings on internet if you need that sort of thing.

Yes they look like Golden Sex Link type chickens. Good layers!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by