Too Many drakes???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MakNat, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    This spring wll be my first full year with Muscoveys. I started last winter with 1 drake and 2 hens. Well.... Needless to say after tons of babys and my DH pushing the issue to GET RID of them.. I now have 8. 4 hens 4 drakes. The older daddy drake has claimed all 4 hens. The 3 younger drakes, which are grown and huge, just pal around together....... Do you think with the older Alpha drake he will keep the other 3 in 'check'???? I would really prefer to keep them as pets. But I also understand they will have 'needs' too and there will be the occassional issue.. Or should I try and find them homes? I've asked around, but I think most people just want to eat them.... Some people have told me to just turn them out on their ponds, but say they have to fend for themselves. Hopefully the can just get along. I'd have better luck selling pairs, but I want to keep my hens for sure!!

2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    animals like humans are unpredictable. you are only going to know when it comes time. i have heard of people just putting them in separate pens. i have seen on other forums that people keep a 1 to 3 ratio sometimes? but you really won't know till breeding season comes.

i am worrying about mine as well. i have one duck and one drake and i am hoping my drake does not get out of control because i can't get another duck.

good luck.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well one muscovy drake can easily take care of ten hens with out a fertility problem....

4. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    When I only had the 2 and the hen Dolly started sitting the drake Duke was such a gentleman! The whole 5 weeks... Then he was really sweet and watchful over the ducklings. Not that I watch them constantly, but I didn't see them breeding until the ducklings were about 3 weeks old!!

Well I started with 3. The day I brought the hens home one fly off right away... I could not believe it and I don't know how she did it, but she came back about 9 weeks later... Crazy thats one tuff duck!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Its also a good idea to seperate the hens once you do have ducklings as the other drakes may try to kill the ducklings since they arent their offspring. I have a mutt drake that is a sweet heart. He will sit right outside the dog house where the hen is brooding as guard the entrace from everyone else. He is such a sweetheart! Dont you love ti when the drakes are gentlemen? ALot better than most of the guys ive dated! lol

6. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    haha how cute is that.

my drake is nice soo far. but he's protective of ME! if my little girl nips me, he chases her and nips her back lol. and the other day i was in my bed crying cuz my bunny passed away and he sat there by my bed and laid his head on my bed and he was giving me kisses too. i just hope he stays this way during mating season, and i hope he doesn't try to mate with me lol.

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:Yeah, Im hoping my goone stays a sweet heart [​IMG]

and ewwww!!! I know a coupld of people on here have had drakes try to dominate their feet [​IMG]

8. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    What kind of ducks do you guys have? I think mine just hate me. They are wild!! All the babys are wild too, no matter how much I try to handle them!! ( Muscoveys ) Not actual 'wild' ducks!! Haha thought I better make that clear!!

9. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    hahaha that's funny.

i bent over to put food in the pen for my ducks one day and my drake nipped my butt. he did that one day when i was putting mascara on too?? lol. such a silly boy

10. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i have hand raised muscovies in my bedroom [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by