too many eggs! I got carried away HELP

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Ok...... I am a serious addict and adding another coop because I got carried away.
he.gif

(there are too many enablers on this site and YOU are one of them!)
ya.gif

I think I will have too many eggs for my family. At this last count I think I have 120 total chickens and all but 10 are hens.
jumpy.gif

This means in a month or so, when all of the chickens start laying
I will be
duc.gif
GETTING 80 TO 100 EGGS A DAY!
wee.gif
So I have plans to call local churches, pantrys and resell stores to offer free eggs( or 50 cents a doz to cover feed costsf or those that want to make a donation) and to donate processed chickens to the needy.
frow.gif

What else can I do with all of the eggs? chickens are a hobby
(OK- OK an OBESSSION) with me and so fun to keep and have. These chickens are well taken care of and very happy. (oh.... they EAT a lot too!)

I live in a small town... I wat thinking of taking 1/2 doz/doz eggs to some stores/shops in town as a free gift for a few days and then when the people get "hooked"
tongue2.gif
on fresh eggs...
bow.gif
I will.....Oh well please help me with ideas???? thanks

I offered to donate some to the local schools in the area, so they don't have to purchase them for classroom hatching. I didnt' have any takers, but they know the offer is there.

Thanks that is a good idea... I never though of that. Keep the ideas coming...... I'll call some schools and see... any more ideas?
thumbsup.gif

Is there a farmers' market nearby where you can sell them? I sell flowers and veggies at a market (we only have a dozen hens so we get all of our eggs), but the egg sellers do very well indeed, especially once they build up a clientele. You might contact a nearby market and see if you can get in as a vendor. Many of my other friends do very well by just putting out an "eggs for sale" or "brown eggs for sale" sign at the foot of their driveway, and setting up a small fridge in their garage where regular customers can stop in and pick up eggs/leave $$. I think the key is to charge a good price, at least $3.00 a dozen, which I think it well worth it, especially if your chickens get to free range or graze at all. People seem to value things if they have to pay more--if you only charge $.50, they may believe they are getting junk eggs. Though of course, I think it is also a good thing to donate some of your eggs to a pantry or Meals on Wheels, if you can.

Best of luck. That's a lotta eggs.

I use my non-fertile eggs out of the incubator to feed my chickens. You could feed them to them and give them their hard work and nutrition back, just make sure you cook them first so they don't become egg eaters
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom