Too many eggs?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Couture Family, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Couture Family

Couture Family Out Of The Brooder

So my three year old barred rock stopped laying just about a year ago. So just two weeks ago she started laying again. Last week and the week before she laid normally. But this week she's laid seven days in a row. She didn't do that even in her prime. She was maybe a 5 day in a row layer, laying about 6 days a week.

What is making her lay so many eggs? Should I be worried? I mean I'm glad for the eggs since she's the only one laying but I don't know what to make of it?

Any ideas?????

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Are you sure she is the one laying, and not a different hen?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That is interesting......but I would also ask, are you sure it's her doing all the laying?

Check her, and other birds, vents and pelvic points.
    Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

4. Couture Family

It's defiantly her because my other birds are still babies and have not started laying yet. Probably not for a couple more months yet. Greta is in the box every day and since the other babies aren't laying I'm quite sure it's her.

All my other adult birds have gone on to be with Jesus. Before Penny died she was the only one laying. But after Penny was gone Greta started laying again. It was weird as if she felt like she needed to earn her keep?

What could make her lay so many days in a row? We'll see if she lays today. If so then I will really worry.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, that would clinch it.......how old are your babies?

Hard to say what caused the new fervent onset of laying<shrugs>.
    Especially this time of year......fall, if you are in the northern hemisphere.

Are all the eggs normal and intact, good hard shells, normal yolks and whites?
    Have you changed feed lately or added a new food?

As long as she seems healthy...eating, drinking, pooping normally...is active and energetic...I wouldn't worry about it too much.

6. Couture Family

Well there are a few things. She didn't go an 8th day but did start back up on the 9th day. She missed the 10th and laid again today. So she may be back to normal?

To answer your first question the babies will be five months old in about three weeks. (We are here in Florida)

Also, yes the eggs look great. They are more dark than she use to lay them but still good eggs. They even look healthier inside than they did before.

The only thing that might be different is that since she wasn't laying before, I mixed the grower feed with the layer feed when I moved the babies out in the coop with her so that they would get both since there was no real way to keep them separate. So she did eat a little grower feed but they are all out of it now so they are all on layer feed.

But!!! There is one huge issue with Greta that I haven't been able to figure out. For about four months now (maybe more) she has had explosive diarrhea (literally). She doesn't squat to pooh anymore and none of them are hard. She just stands still and a huge pile of runny poop squirts (more like shoots) out of her bottom. I've soaked her in warm water, I gave her some oatmeal, I even went inside to see if there was an egg. So I'm actually glad she's laying because I thought that's what was making her shoot poop.

I have no idea why she does it. She isn't bothered by it. And she eats and drinks normally. Actually she eats a lot!

So? I have no idea what to do about it. Other than it being gross and messy in the coop there is no issue with it. I don't walk behind her anymore but that's about it. I can't see how that would effect her egg laying though.

Oh, and she was doing that before she had any grower feed.

She does get yogurt but it's coconut yogurt not dairy. She's only had dairy yogurt once. The only treats she gets are meal worms, yogurt, and cauliflower once in a while (mostly raw).

What can I do about it?

7. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Why not dairy?

8. twinsmom6

twinsmom6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Southern Arizona
    had our first egg today.. [​IMG]feel like a proud mamma :)

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    The other chickens could be laying. Has she been dewormed recently? Internal parasites can cause runny poop.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. Couture Family

I just never wanted to give them meat stuff, no real other reason. We feed our girls all organic so I just wanted to keep them on a veggie diet. They do get fish skin though whenever we have fish for meal. Speaking of such they will get a nice piece of trout skin tonight [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by