Too many eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RIBill, Dec 17, 2010.

1. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    With so many people having reduced or stopped production, I just have to brag. I have been getting too many eggs. Almost every day, I get 5 eggs from 6 chickens. Two days I got 7 eggs from 6 chickens. I have 3 dozen eggs in the fridge. I don't know what I'm doing, but it must be working. I give them light from 4-7 a.m. I also give them a scoop of self-mixed seeds. That's all I do. Now I have to start giving eggs away in the winter. I thought this would only be a spring/summer issue.

2. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Start making quiches. Uses allot of eggs. We crack them over the dogs food too. He loves it and his coat never looked better. It's COLD and DARK here in Alaska and I'm getting 3 from 3 every day. We must be doing something right huh?[​IMG]

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Congratulations on your girls! It's always better to have too many than too few eggs.

You've given me such hope! I have 8 little RIRs that are almost 9 weeks old. So I have months to go before they start laying. The original number was supposed to be 4 hens, but it somehow multiplied to 8.

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    it's great to have too many eggs! Are you giving them artificial light? If so, then that is why you are getting so many eggs. I prefer to let my hens take a break in the winter. With almost 40 chickens, though, I'm not short on eggs. If they want to lay, they lay. If they need a break, they take a break.

5. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I provide them with about 3 hours of light. They get about 12.5 hours of combined natural and artificial light combined. They're first-year layers though. I assume I will not have this problem next winter. [​IMG]

6. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    You might do fine next year.
    I have some old girls that have not read the chicken information on how long they will lay good.
    They are still producing well at three years.[​IMG]

7. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Quote:I'm in the same boat as you folks. My girls are doing just what God made them to do and they are doing it well, despite the frozen water and the sub zero windchills.

8. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Do check with the churches. There are alot of hungry folks out there. The food banks cant take anything that is not from the grocery that hasn[t been inspected ect.. But the churches will take anything you can give. I don't even have chickens yet and there is a church begging for an left overs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by