Too Many Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ira B, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Ira B

Ira B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Maybe this question makes me out to be the obvious newbedo chicken owner that I in am but I can handle being laughed at so here it goes.....

We have 3 Rhode Island Reds, Lovely birds.
    They about 6 months old and started laying a few weeks ago. We have been getting what works out to about 2 eggs a day although sometimes only 1 or as many as three. All of the sudden we are getting as many as 5 eggs per day and usually at least 4?!

Question:
    Is this normal?
    Is it potentially harmful for the birds to be dropping so many darn eggs?

They are mostly free range but are feed some table scraps like cooked rice, tomato ends, bread crusts and occasionally small bits of meat scraps. They also seem very fat and happy.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    5 eggs a day from 3 hens? Are you picking eggs daily?

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    thats really odd...

it takes about 20-25 hrs from what I've read on here to produce an egg;....so to get more than your hens #'s in eggs is quite strange ...

occasionally I've heard of ppl getting two in one day but its rare...

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I agree with you. I have heard on rare occasions where someone got 2 eggs in 1 day.

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I have also had hens that would lay 2 eggs a day on occasion and last was also a RIR....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  6. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    I occasionally got two a day from one hen when they first started laying. When I asked about this it was mentioned that sometimes one will take a while to work its way out, so they can lay two in the 25 hour period, even though they only really "made" one in that period. Now that they have been laying for a while, they have evened out and I get two-three a day from three hens. Mine are australorps, but I would assume that this would hold true for all of the ladies.

7. elvallot

elvallot New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    Our hens- 4 delwares- we would find 3-5 eggs in nest- I agree that they may have brewed more than one up then layed- we would collect once a day in the morning- we had a loss of a hen so our egg production is off- but what I have read after a time they settle into a routine of laying. In the mean time, if you have more than you can use- find someone to give them too.

best of luck to ya

8. Ira B

Ira B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    We check the coop several times a day, mostly just to visit the birds, and I am positive all 5 were laid in one day.
    For the past several days they are back to one each.

9. Ira B

Ira B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Quote:We do have more eggs than we can use. Much to our neighbors delight.

10. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Possible. Maybe they are a bit stuffed up in the egg delivery system. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by