Too many eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Knittycat, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I currently have 5 chickens (I gotta update my signature). Two wellsummers, two barred rocks, and an easter egger. I got 5 eggs today, but they were all brown. If I had to guess I'd say I've got 4 wellsummer eggs and 1 barred rock egg, although maybe one of the BRs is going through a darker phase. I know that there were no eggs in the nests this morning, and now...I have too many of the wrong color!
    What happened? I thought they were only supposed to lay every 26 hours or so at the fastest!

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    EEs can lay ANY color of egg. There's no guarantee that they will lay blue or green, so it looks like your EE's putting out brown eggs rather than an egg production miracle.

On a side note, having looked at your sig...you have a roo named Jerkface? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    But she lays a blue egg. Easter eggers can lay multiple colors?
    yes, Jerkface is my rooster. He's a good roo as far as roosters go. He's still a little *** though.

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    No, not multiple colors. They'll lay whatever they lay for however long they lay. I didn't know that you had already confirmed the color of her egg. [​IMG] In that case, maybe someone got a little egg-cited and you did get an extra...the usual time between eggs is about 25 hours, so maaaaaybe someone felt like raising the bar!

LOL! I just can't get over that name...makes me laugh every time I read it. [​IMG]

5. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Puck the rooster's name (when the kiddo was around) was far less PC too ;)

6. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    I have had a bird lay two eggs in one day -- quite rare, but it has happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by