Too many finches in cage thus female get aggressive?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by maulam, Jan 19, 2012.

1. maulam

maulam New Egg

Jan 19, 2012
    Sorry if I sound so ignorant. I'm totally new on the Finch terrority.

I have a cage 23" wide x 19" depth x 29" height. I have 1 male Zebra, 3 female Zebra, 1 pair Society finch. The male and 1 female are bonded and the 2 female Zebra are also bonded. The problem is, the Female who bonded wit the male get more and more aggressive toward the rest of the finches, chasing them everywhere and won't let them get close to any of the 3 nests.

The cage is also setup with 3 large bamboo nests, 1 water dish, 2 food dishes, couple perches, a wood swing hanging from the top of the cage and a long paper tissue box with lots of hay in it.

Am I putting too many finches there? Should I take the aggressive female out? The rest of the finches seemed getting along well. Only the aggressive one is causing trouble. I bought them from a local Pet shop. They said I can return or exchange if needed within first 2 weeks. I hate to do that as I already bonded with everyone of them.

Any advice? Thank you!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow - I don't know a lot about finches, but I kept a pair in a cage larger than that, so it sounds very crowded to me. They did hatch babies, and I kept two of the young for a while, but four just seemed too many to me. I think overcrowding affects just about any animal, and makes them more protective of resources (including nests). I would suggest downsizing your numbers or getting another cage.

3. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Too many finches in that cage, my smallest breeding cage is 24" long x 18" x 18", the extra females are also going to be a problem. You can breed a pair of zebras with a pair of societies in the a cage, a larger cage.

4. maulam

maulam New Egg

Jan 19, 2012
    Thanks! Looks like I have to get another cage...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by