1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too many Harleys vs Too many Chickens debate. Do U have Harleys Too??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 202roosterlane, Aug 12, 2011.

1. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Well I currently have 25 chicken of 9 different breeds. My husband has 14 Harleys from 1931 to 2010. He says I have too many and they cost a lot to keep. Building supplies, fencing supplies, food, etc. But the I pulled the "what about antique bike part costs?" [​IMG] Then he said, " But I can lock them up and drive away for vacation and you can't." Dang, he got me there. [​IMG] So I told him, "yeah but I can make money with my chickens, chicks and eggs." [​IMG] But of course not quite as much as the bikes are worth.....[​IMG] He said, " Those chickens and building the run is a lot of hard work in the heat." but I told him back at cha. [​IMG] Then we decided we both had super hobbies and he even likes to show off his handy work on the chicken run.

So I wondered how many chicken owners out there are also Biker Dudes and Dudettes? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Hahaha not a biker here but [​IMG]

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] I have always wanted a motorbike but with being on the wimpish, I-couldn't-ride-a-bike-until-i-was-14 side of life I'm not sure how long I'd still be alive if I ever tried to ride one [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Harley collection [​IMG] [​IMG]

I wish. Pics please!!!

My father raced for Harley in the late 40s and 50s. He raced enduros.

My biggest regret was losing track of what happened to his trophies....... I know most of them were broken over the years but I don't know what my mother did with them after he died.

Chickens are cool and I love my chickens. but, Harleys are forever. [​IMG]

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    We each have our own harley & 40 chickens wouldn't give up either. Would love pics of his collection. [​IMG]

6. kychicken75

kychicken75 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Lebanon ky
    We have about 30 chickens...and my hubby has a 2001 victory motorcycle...i have a kawasaki vulcan motorcycle...(in the process of learning to ride).....

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    We each have a yamaha v-star and I have 20 chickens. My second job pays for both so I don't hear so much. Also my sister and I build the pens now. Would love pics! When we go to Thunder Beach we always go to the vintage bike show.

sharon

8. ernndbrtt

ernndbrtt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    No chickens yet as our coop and run aren't quite done yet... But we will start with @10, I have room for @16-18. We do have one Harley an 09 FLHTC, and we each have a dirt bike. Mine is an 03 Suzuki RM @250 that is scary fast and my wife has an 08 Honda CR 150. I've had bikes all my life and I'm trying to get my wife comfortable enough to get her own Harley ;o)

9. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I love Harleys but don't own one. I come from a long line of ADHD family, and the creative side had even my great grandparents burning the midnight oil dependant on their interests. My great grandfather invented and held the patent on the first Monkey Wrench, and the first clutch for the Harley motorcycles. My grandparents have a very cool sepia tin type pic of this freshfaced kid dressed in blossoming brown britches with the coolest laced knee high boots over them, big jacket over shirt, wearing a cap at a cocky angle, chin up, arms crossed. Proud of what he helped do. The bike just behind him. He looked like he was still in high school, but that's genetics. He was always tinkering, if not in the workshop, then in the big garden.

10. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Bought a Harley when I turned 21 back in '99. Heritage Softtail. Was fun for a while, but I soon learned that I could sell a Harley, and build 2 choppers for the amount of money I got for it. I think I like building bikes as much as I like riding.

I love the older Harleys, but the newer ones don't impress me. I wish they did. I still ride 2 of my homebuilt chops but lately my interest has spread to ratrods and 1950s Cadillacs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by