Too many incubator choices

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vtara16, Nov 8, 2009.

1. vtara16

vtara16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    Can someone help me out. I would like to try hatching but don't know what incubator to buy. There are so many. Can you give me any suggestions? would spend up to $300 for unit.

Thanks

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    If I could get any bator I wanted, it would be a Brinsea. The one I could afford at the time though was a Hova Bator Genesis. I absolutely LOVE it! It holds temps. steady no problem and comes with the temp. preset so there isn't any headache of adjusting and tweaking. Just add water and plug it in! Easy-peasy! I've had numerous hatches in it and have been very pleased. I got it with the turner around $150, but like I said, if I had the money I would buy a Brinsea. They have this Brinsea (the one I want!) on sale right now for $332. You'll have to check it out! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I am SOOOO glad to read this. My first eggs are in my Brinsea now. Day 5.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh! I'm so jealous Deb! I hope you have a great hatch. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

Quote:Thanks - we are praying. We have fiddled with temp and humidity alot though, so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't very good. We only have eight eggs in there. We wanted to start small and not kill too many at once. [​IMG]

6. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

whatever you do DO NOT buy a little giant! Since you have a decent price range I am sure you wouldn't, but I say this for the benefit of anyone skimming this post with the same question (and a smaller budget) in mind.
    Little giant incubators SUCK. 2 of 32 eggs hatched. So many little chickies who never got a chance to live makes me sad.

7. debilorrah

I have heard the same thing about the LG. I went with Brinsea because we had the money and figured we may as well go with the best. At least I hope it's the best.

8. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I also own the Octo20 brinsea. Very good hatchrates. Dont believe what they say about 24 hen egg capacity tho. I can only get about 18-19 eggs in mine. The 24 eggs must mean Banty eggs.

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Yikes! My Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance EX with humidity module will be here on Tuesday and the 24 eggs I planned to put in it will be here Wednesday! I guess it was a good idea to keep the Hobavator as a back up. I can put some eggs in there and then if I find any duds when candling I can move them from the Hobavator uptown to the Brinsea!

10. debilorrah

[​IMG] [​IMG] Uptown!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by