Too many male ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by glawlor7, Mar 9, 2014.

1. glawlor7

glawlor7 New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    Folks, looking for some advice on how best to deal with too many males ducks in my flock. I have 7 ducks (two runners, 3 kayak Campbell's, a magpie and buff) 5 are males. I am starting to see the level of aggressiveness and chasing increase. To balance it out should I remove the most aggressive or least? I am assuming the most aggressive since that should calm things down overall. Also, do you suggest I balance it to 2 males and 2 females, or if I have 3 males 2 females will I still see the aggressive behavior?

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay first, the males are aggressive but don't get rid of them u r gonna wot diversity if u plan to breed, secondly if u incubate the eggs from the pairs u decide to match put the temp at 99.5 to 99.8 because female eggs tend to live through higher temps meaning in u won't have a lot of males in the hatch

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    glawlor7, welcome to the Duck Forum [​IMG]

The general rule of thumb for male to female ratio is 1:3 up to 1:6, depending on the drake.

There are a number of people who keep a drake pen. Especially during mating season, this has helped.

The females' lives depend on you. Overmating can cause injury and death.

Some do okay with pairs, some don't work out. It depends on the individual ducks. Still, as you know your ratios are not healthy for the girls. I would segregate them and work on balancing the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by