Too Many Male Ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MamacatPatch, Dec 16, 2014.

1. MamacatPatch

MamacatPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    This year we added 16 ducks to our group and unfortunately, most of them are males! SO, the few gals are getting way too much 'attention' ... yes, even now in the middle of December! We have a pair of white Pekin ducks and the female is crippled from all the 'attention' she's gotten the past few years ... if you get my meaning.

My question is, should we sell them or give them away? How much does a male duck go for anyway? They are Blue Swede and some are part Khaki Campbell. Any of you sold ducks? If so, how does one go about that? Yes, asking this question HERE is part of my research on this!

Thanks for all assistance!

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Male ducks usually don't go for much since most people want girls.

Also if they are mixed at al it is illegal to sell them as a pure breed. and mixes usually don't sell for much either, best to give them away for free in all honesty you'll get rid of them faster.

3. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Or you can give them to a waterfowl rescue group, or even give them to a park in a nearby city

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    you can give them to the park which requires getting in contact with the city you CANNOT( just makeing it clear not being mean at all :) ) dump them there thats illegal

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  5. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

ya

6. MamacatPatch

Jul 10, 2007
    Good ideas all! I'd be OK with giving them away and just finding them new homes.

Thanks!

7. fethr37

fethr37 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    New homes for drakes usually mean they will be dinner for someone if that bothers you.

You may want to screen who you re-home them to if you want them to live the good life.2cents

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. I would take a male.... I have four female pekins and I want to get babies from them........ I don't think my mom would let me have one though... where are you located?

9. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I agree with what has been said. I got 16 muscovies, (some I hatched and some I ordered as chicks) out of 16 ducklings I got 6 girls and 10 boys. I was able to get enough girls from another breeder so I now have 9 but they are still being over bred. Up here in Vermont male ducks don't sell at all unless someone is looking for one as a breeder. I even tried to give them away and no one wanted them because they were male.

The only logical course of action is that I will either process them come spring so that I only have 4 or 5 boys. and 9 girls or I find someone who wants them for the same reason. I would rather be the one to process them if it needs to happen so I know it will be done as humanely as possible for them rather then sending them off to someone who might not feel the same way. It feels like the responsible thing to do.

10. MamacatPatch

Jul 10, 2007
    Please delete this post?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by