1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too many male muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chrome99, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Chrome99

Chrome99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    I ordered 6 straight-run muscovy ducklings and now that they are 8 weeks old I've come to the conclusion that I only have one female. I plan on rehoming three of the males (which I have planned on doing from the start, due to lack of space) and keeping the two remaining males and one female. Will this cause problems? Im guessing Im going to have to find myself a second female, but figured Id make sure its absolutley necessary before doing so. This is my first time raising ducks and its been so much fun, just wish I ended up with more females.

2. estaswick

estaswick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    It most likely will, I would re home (or otherwise cull) the other male as well. Perhaps you can find someone to trade with for a 2nd female. I have quite a few of the buggers running around here in Chicago. Perhaps you can find someone near you.

3. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    Wow, two males and one female will be hard on the female [​IMG]
    They will tear her apart! Muscovy`s are very fruitful. Maybe you keep 2 or 3 drakes? They are real sweet too. If not, i would only keep one drake and one girl.

4. Chrome99

Chrome99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks, thats what I figured. If I can find another female locally, will two males and two females be alright?

5. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    I would go for 1 drake, two females. A drake can easily handel 4 females. I have 3 females and one drake myself. Next year i will get a blue female to complete my pack. But when the drake gets old and passes on, i won`t get another one.
    I understand you have to many drakes and you want to keep some. Notice that when you have a drake and a female, they will multiply quickly! You will have to get rid of the ducklings, unless you accept that you only have two ducks for now. Won`t be for to long i`ll bet. Then you can keep some of the offspring females.
    It`s always hard and painfull to see them go, so now you will have a good reason to keep some :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. TAWAKONI

TAWAKONI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Your better off with one drake or less. You will see this when they're older. If you have limited space you would be better off without a drake otherwise your gonna end up with more ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by