1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Too Many Males? Male Pekin with No Feathers and Scab on Neck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ShellyH22, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ShellyH22

ShellyH22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    I have 3 male pekin ducks that are 9 months old. When I purchased the ducks I had no idea that they would all turn out to be male. I had read about too many males being a problem, but mine seemed to get along just fineā€¦.UNTIL I noticed about a month ago that 2 of them started picking on the other one. They grab the back of his neck and hold his head down. It is so bad that now that the poor guy doesn't have many feathers on the back of his neck and there is a scab. He just looks so scraggly compared to the other two.

I don't know how to keep the other 2 from doing this. Any ideas? I don't know of anyone in my area who has pet ducks that I can sell/trade with. I certainly would not give any of them to someone to butcher. I don't really want to separate him from the rest for fear he will be lonely. It's just a sad situation.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your drakes are becoming sexually mature, and they will continue trying to mate with him. The kindest thing would be to separate him away from the others before they injure him.

3. ShellyH22

ShellyH22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    So if I remove the one who is taking the abuse, will the other two still be fine together? Or do you think they will start trying to mate with each other?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They may have a dominance struggle or they may coexist peacefully. In my experience drakes are extremely testosterone driven.

5. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    (I dont mean this rudely and im sorry if this is cursing),but are yous aying because they are sexualy matured,their gay?and like eachother?

6. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    I figured to males mating is quir,but im just curious,because my famale khakis were mating.The other 1 would act is if it was actually male,and turns to connect with the female.

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's not that they are 'gay'. They are sexually frustrated and no ducks are available. Heck they'll sometimes try to mate a rock, stump or plastic water jug. In mixed sex flocks it is not uncommon for multiple drakes breeding a duck resulting in drowning or permanent injury. To put it bluntly they are just very horny.

8. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Ok,thank you.My males were always availible to hens,but still my oldest drake would constantly try to mate the other 2 males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by