Too many males?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veggiegirl, Oct 1, 2015.

1. veggiegirl

veggiegirl Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I currently have 2 males and 3 females and everyone gets along great. Some one wants to give me 3 males, would this create problems? Would there be a lot of fighting?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why ruin a good thing? There would probably be fighting and for sure your females would be seriously overbred and very likely injured if not killed. I see nothing but problems if you add more drakes to your small flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The general rule is around 8-10 hens per rooster, so even if you had just one rooster, you are considerably short on hens. I would not entertain the idea of any more roosters under any circumstances.

CT

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Are talking about ducks or chickens?

2 males to 3 female ducks isn't somethings that generally works out well so you got lucky. Adding even more males is a VERY bad idea. Usually each male needs around 3-6 females so unless you plan on adding lots of females at the same time don't do it.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Solid, good advice. OP posts in the 'duck' forum, so I assumed that they were talking about ducks.

6. veggiegirl

veggiegirl Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    They are ducks, yes. OK, thanks for the advise everyone, I will pass on the additional males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by