1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too many males!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gysygirl, Oct 8, 2012.

1. gysygirl

gysygirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    I have a problem developing I could do with some advice about, I started off with a rescued wild mallard duckling and purchased two call ducklings for friends, The calls are a definately male and female, The mallard we thought was a female and all would be well is turning white! which means of course male Arggghhh, I cannot possibly get rid of either male and the mallard as he was hand raised is definately not wild now! The question is how many females do I have to have to keep the males happy, I was quite happy with the three ducks but do not want my little 'Smudge' (female) getting bullied.[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't understand, your saying your wild mallard is turning white and that means it's a drake?

3. gysygirl

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    Sorry I mean white speckled belly and big white/brindled tail feathers just like the males! All of the brown feathers are disappearing just waiting on a green head now! [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay now I understand, I am thinking you'll need at least 3-4 ducks for each drake. and their still maybe some fighting. I have 3 drakes to 10 ducks and it went pretty good this year.

5. gysygirl

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    That's what I was thinking looks like i'm gonna have to get 5 more females [​IMG]The noise from the garden will be funny! Can you recommend any other ducks other than calls to go with them, They need to be about the same size as the calls or mallard for their duck house at night! [​IMG]

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree with ML, about 3 min.. you don't want to know what i have lol 17 total, and only 8 are ducks. I plan to weed out the 7 boys and make a drake flock that will leave 2 drake with the 8 ducks... hopefully that will work, i don't want anymore ducks.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    There are other bantam ducks, I think Mini Appleyards and also Domestic Mallards. Not sure if there are others, since I only have Muscovy most of what I learn about other breeds is on here.

8. gysygirl

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    Thanks for the info it's a great help I will look at some of the other breeds, Good job we built a big pen and pond looks like we're gonna need it! [​IMG]

9. gysygirl

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    Omg 17 you have it worse than me [​IMG] I was not planning on having any till we found Rocky now it looks like we are gonna have a small flock [​IMG] Good job I love ducks and whats a few more ha ha

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Be sure to post pics when you get them, and also of your guys you have now, you know how we all are we love pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by