Too many peas??!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wotsup, Nov 5, 2011.

1. wotsup

wotsup New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    Hi all,

I have 3 very happy girls, all kept as pets with eggs as a bonus. They have open access to the entire rear garden which has quite a fair bit of lawn (gradually becoming bog)! They have free access to Bokashi mash, layers pellets and of course grass, but have never been interested in any kitchen scraps at all. After reading on here, I persisted with garden peas and now you'd think they couldn't live without them. Only a live earthworm gets a more enthusiastc reaction [​IMG] Question is - how often can I feed peas without harming them?

Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I feed peas every day sometimes their poop looks like mashed peas but they look forward to the peas it so it's okay. AND [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feed peas at different intervals - sometimes daily for a few days at a time.

There are nine runners, so several handfuls of peas is only a few tablespoons each. I watch the way they eat worms, slugs, seeds, etc., and it works out that the peas are not a huge percentage of their diet.

And yes, like Miss Lydia's ducks, the poops reflect how many peas each runner ate at their latest pea-fest.

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks get treats EVERY nite at bedtime... my pond has shelves on a couple of the sides and I throw treats in there. I have seven ducks and they get a chopped up Romaine lettuce stalk, 2 chopped up tomatoes, 2 cups each of thawed frozen peas and corn.. they are a very good eaters as they eat their pellets and forage on bugs and grass during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by