Too many roos ... what would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Don, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Hi Folks!

OK, here's the dealy ... we live on a whopping 1/2 acre and have limited space for our 6 birds. They reside in a modified metal shed beside our house and have a run that is probably 20' x 20' to hang out in.

When we got them, we were told they were all pullets but we ended up with 3 barred rock roos and 3 wyndotte pullets. Now they are goin on 4 months old and I have to decide how to handle this situation.

We wanted the gals for eggs, that's all. Perhaps meat after 2 or 3 seasons, but that is yet to be decided. Now our egg production will be half of what we wanted which leads me to ask how YOU would do this:

Deal with the roos. Would you keep them for meat? If that's the case, wouldn't they start fighting each other? How long should you raise a barred rock roo for meat use? *OR* would you sell or otherwise get rid of them?

Deal with the missing half of the egg production. With limited space to work with, how would you introduce 3 more ladies to the group? At 4 months, can they mix with others that are younger or would they have to be about the same age? Would you get chicks and raise them in the garage until they're old enough to blend? And if so, how old IS old enough to safely blend?

Of course, there may be options that I am not considering ... which is what led me to get opinions of those more experienced than I. Please, feel free to share whatever options you feel are appropriate.

Thanks to you all ... in advance ... for your assistance!

Peace to you ... and grace.

Don

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    With only three hens, I would advocate that all three roos should go! I would recommend BBQ chicken, chicken teryaki and chicken parm...

And then I'd focus on bringing in 3 more ladies...

I wouldn't keep a roo until you have at least 6 established hens, preferably a few more than that...

The roos will fight and on a 1/2 acre when they start crowing will make quite a ruckus... No one will buy them probably, so it's giveaway or process...your choice...

...and if you do bring in more hens, please observe biosecurity and quarantine the new birds before you introduce them.

3. Don

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Quote:Very cool ... thanks!

Ya think I should process these guys like NOW then or wait until they start acting up so they have time to get some meat on their bones?

I'm sure my chicken books will tell me, but would you know off hand how long to quarantine new gals?

Thanks again for taking the time to share ...

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    That's pretty much what I would say. [​IMG]
    I try to rehome the roos if I can, but not all of them will go that way. I figure you've put 4 months of feed into them, you should benefit, so send them to Camp Kenmore.

Bring in 3 new ladies and quarantine (30 days). I have two pens with a connecting gate. In the past I would close the gate and let the new girls roam. This way the original flock can see the new girls, but can't get to them. After a couple of weeks I can usually open the gate and they mingle like old friends. Then again, sometimes just the sheer number of birds being added will help confuse the issue enough that they don't bother pecking them. I've put 10 new chicks in with the older girls before, all at once, without any problems. If you do it at night, they all wake up together and don't seem to realize that newbies have been added. [​IMG]
    They're old enough when they're big enough to take care of themselves, which is probably, oh, about 10 weeks. But you'll know.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Mrs. AK is very wise... I would just follow her advice!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other post. Have some fried chicken and get you some new girls. They should be about the same size when you introduce them, and I would quarantine the new birds before you introduce them too. Some people have had little or no problems introducing new additions to the flock but other have had younger birds killed by older ones, Right now your current flock is't that old yet where the intro may go more smoothly

7. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Hey, good luck Don! I wouldn't let the roos get too old if you plan on eating them. I think you're supposed to process at 16 weeks or so...

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] Thanks Bluey! *chuckle!* I'm having issues with introducing new birds to the layer flock all the time. And by new birds, I mean babies I've hatched. Each group is different. My flock is now closed to new adult birds, though. The last set of 4 adults that I brought in I checked very closely for anything that might be wrong. Check their overall appearance - are they bright and chipper? No sign of scaley leg mites, lice, sores, etc? I do a preemptory dusting for bugs, and sometimes worms, and keep them separate for at LEAST 2 weeks, but longer if they need to ditch any bugs. And check their poopies. [​IMG] I've been lucky... there are others on this forum that have had their entire flock decimated by bringing in seemingly healthy birds. If you get adult birds, check out their living quarters when you pick them up. I've rescued some from the pits of hell, but the last ones came from a very clean and tidy home... well cared for and loved. Those are the best. [​IMG]
    Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  9. Don

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Wow! I love this board!!!

Mrs AK, Bluey, Cmom ... thanks SO much!

I do have an "A" frame coop that I made with a basement run that's 5x6 ... that could house 3 kids for a month or so. It's gettin colder now though so I'd have to keep them in the garage.

Camp Kenmore ... LOL!!!

Thanks again ...

10. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    No problem...good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by