too many Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mctom, Jun 26, 2019.

1. mctom

mctom In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2019
    Hi, I am looking for some advice about Roos. We have 1 Roo and 10 hens and everything is going along nicely. We keep our flock in a very large fenced area that includes a barn and their coop. Our hens have just hatched out 5 chicks. I assume that some will be Roos. We will not have enough hens for another Roo. We have 5 acres and are wondering if we could just turn out any and all males, once they are adults, to free range. We would give them a coop for night time and feed them, of course. I have heard that they can get along as a group of bachelors, raised together, when there are no hens for them. Is this a reasonable idea? Also, I am VERY concerned about aggressive Roos. Currently I ALWAYS take a broom with me into the chicken yard and I have no problem with our Roo. Forget to take the broom and he wants to fight. This is a manageable situation so not a problem. But, if we free range a group of Roos, are they still likely to be aggressive? Or is it having the hens that makes the Roo want to get aggressive? I really don't want to have to watch my back every time I go outside!!! Am I going to regret letting Roos free range? Thanks for any advice!

2. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @mctom ! welcome to BYC :frow
    I expect more knowledgeable roo keepers will come along in due course, but I've experienced 3 to date so offer my tuppence worth of advice. If I were you, I would not keep your current roo, nor allow him to breed and make more aggressive roos. You've managed him with a broom so far, but it does not have to be like this. There are nice roos!
    If you just 'turn out' roos among the new clutch, I think they will not just disappear into the woods but will instead keep trying to join your flock/access your hens. A bachelor pen or culling (i.e. removing from the flock, give/sell if poss, kill if not) are the best alternatives imo.

aart and BlueBaby like this.
  3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

I agree. If you free-range those young roo's, they will keep hanging out by where the hen's are at and will keep trying to get in there. If you wanted to keep the extra roo's, then best to pen them up where they are not within sight of where the hen's are at. You could also either re-home them, or send them to freezer camp for a future meal.

4. KahKaDoodleDo22

KahKaDoodleDo22 In the Brooder

May 21, 2019
    Washington
    I hatched 9 babies this spring, 5 of them are roosters and I got another later on plus my big established too makes 7! So I feel your pain!!

I’m going to do the bachelors in one pen too. I definitely agree that you should pen them up, if you don’t it might make your current roo more aggressive.

The babies you have should grow up to love you if you handle them a lot during their younger days.

You need to get ahold of the current roo and hang him upside-down by his feet to establish dominance. I do that with mine and they’re my best buds

mctom likes this.
  5. ellenscoop

ellenscoop Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Indiana
    mctom likes this.
  6. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    Missouri
    You shoulda never hatched from an aggressive bird,it doesn’t matter about be able to ward him off with a broom, do you seriously wanna have to do this till he’s dead(could be 5-8 years from
    Now?), or until his next sons grown up and be the same way?

You can make a bachelor pad, but they need to be penned up otherwise you’ll have other issues like them constantly antagonizing the other male, and getting killed by predators.

I’d honestly rid of him, wait till his sons grow up and see how they turn out.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    mctom likes this.
  7. mctom

mctom In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2019
    Thanks for the welcome and thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I think what you are saying makes sense and we will just have to step it up and put some in the freezer. We don't want another big chicken pen. We bought duel purpose birds for the meat and eggs but are new to it and have yet to butcher any. I guess its time for us to take that next step. Thanks again for the advice!

8. mctom

mctom In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2019
    Thanks for the welcome and thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I think what you are saying makes sense and we will just have to step it up and put some in the freezer. We don't want another big chicken pen. We bought duel purpose birds for the meat and eggs but are new to it and have yet to butcher any. I guess its time for us to take that next step. Thanks again for the advice!

Thank you for the advice, its appreciated. I think its time for freezer camp!

rosemarythyme and BlueBaby like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: