Too many Roos?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I don't have any chicks yet, but I am getting ready to order day olds. How many roos in a coop is too much? I am ordering about 20 or so baby birdies total. If the roos grow up together does it make a difference? I want about 3 roos to protect my girls, that would be 5 or 6 girls for each roo. Will they just develop pecking order like the girls or will they always fight? Help, before I order.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

1 roo for every 12 or so hens is the rule. We have one roo and 16 hens and we would not get more for him. I think he is stretched....

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have 14 hens and one rooster. He's covering them all. I think you'd do fine with one rooster, but if you can handle it emotionally you might order two and then keep the one that turns out to be the better rooster.

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I have 50 hens and 5 roos. They are all happy together

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 roos for about 50 girls. They have leared who is top dog. Just like the hen pecking order roos have there own.
    If you notice that the roos are to much for the girls you can always have them for supper.

6. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I have one roo for eleven girls at the moment and works well. If I were you I would do no more than 2 roos, any more than that and it's hard on the girls and the roos will peck each other a bit and maybe fight.

7. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    i have about 12 roos right now and about 150 hens. the roos tear each other up and tear my girls up.. this sunday i will be back down to 1 roo.

8. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Also wanted to add that you may end up with an extra roo anyway. Sexing is not always 100% accurate.

9. Grant6411

Grant6411 RIP Steven

Dec 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    OMG you guys are diff. than me.

my rule is 1 hen= 1 rooster

10. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Thanks to all who have replied! Oh, and you're right ChickenFever, I forgot that sexing is only 90% accurate as claimed by the site I'm ordering from. I think I'll only order one male as I think that the Phoenix males are so pretty. Beyond that, I'll just see what I get.

I'm so excited! CHICKENS!!!! [​IMG]
    My husband thinks I'm certifiable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by