Too many roos...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ElleninDublin, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ElleninDublin

ElleninDublin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Eugene, OR
    Anyone have any ideas ~ besides killing them (not an option for me)...on how to get rid of extra roos? I'm trying to give them away, but so far only the females are going.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

You might try posting adds on craigslist, Freecycle, your local newspaper(s), and bulletin boards.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I feel your pain, i kept my last hatch of the year, that ment 250 more mouths to feed, well as of yesterday i have processed 134 roos in 3 weeks and i am still not done [​IMG]

Good luck in finding a home for them.

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Sometimes you have to process them. I am down to three roos. Now I have the first run and coop, the second run and temporary coop with permanent coop to follow and just today divided a small section of the first run for the third roo who finally stepped up and decided he likes the girls. For me one roo in a flock is all I can handle. So....now two flocks with a third to follow.

Many processed roos, gave away and sold the rest and selling them is not easy and I could not ask if they were going into the pot....I just knew. All except one of them.....he is happy and living on a little farm with 8 girls of his own. His brother is still out here....he is in the second run.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I gave my young roos to 4-H. I am sure they will get processed eventually but they'll have kids to play with until then. [​IMG] There seem to always be people looking on craigslist, if you don't mind others processing your roos..

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Yes, it is tough killing them. What about if someone else does it? A butcher will do it. I think its like $5 a bird. Or you can take them to an auction and make a little money off them.

7. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Name them all Gumbo, and get on with it.

8. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I also suggest craigslist. I rehomed a cockeral a week ago. I posted in a few areas close by in addition to my own. I had three responses in an hour and got to chose the best home for him. Good luck!! [​IMG]

9. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Two possible solutions - -

Do a trio package deal . . . 2 hens and 1 roo

OR

Local chicken swaps . . . I had will good luck getting rid of 4 - 6 month old roos at the same swap.
    Sold one for $10 ( pure breed and good lines) and gave the other EE roo away. I put an asking price of $5 on all barnyard mix roos.
    IF somebody looks like they are planning on doing something other than EAT the roo, I just give him to them.
    Most people who are only interested in eating them won't be willing to pay the $5.

10. gogfan

gogfan New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    If you want to keep them,...........
    you could train theem....

HOW TO TRAIN THE ROOS:

Take the roos and hold them in front of eachother,
    do that for a time piriod every day, throw in some
    extra pireods if you want.this gets them to get
    used to each other,(RESULT OF NO FIGHTING)
    an then, TAA DAA!!!! you have to be paceiont with
    them. If they peck, diciplene them.(DONE BY TAPPING
    THE TO SIDES OF HIS HEAD WITH YOUR 2 FINGERS)

hope this helped-
    gogfan

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by