Too many Roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by catw0man, Sep 20, 2011.

1. catw0man

catw0man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Splendora, TX
    I have a small flock of only 4. We definently have 2 Roos and I now anther one has started to crow. I actually thought this little red one was a hen, but it's now trying to crow.
    Is this a sign that it is a Roo or do chickens imitate each other? I've also read that some hens crow. Is this true?

With possibly 3 Roos, I need to get more hens. Should I seperate the Roos so they have their own harems or let them decide how to handle it?

Thank for your advice.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If your chicken is trying to crow, then most likely, it's a rooster, BUT you are right. Occasionally, a hen will crow, but it's pretty rare. If those two grew up together, then just let them hash it out. They might get along just fine.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    It depends on the breed, amount of space, and number of hens as to whether they need to be separated or not.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    1 roo to 9 hens...you do the math....(that is what suggested at least...)

5. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    3 roos to one hen...me thinks a few more hens are needed and fast! The farmer at the back of our garden never has less than 10 hens to a cockerel for obvious reasons.

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:X2 3 roos and 1 hen,good grief!!![​IMG] She will never get any peace. [​IMG]

7. catw0man

catw0man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Splendora, TX
    Quote:I am going to get 2 or 3 more hens and I want to get some that are already laying, (since mine have not laid any eggs yet and, well,. . . . . 3 of them are Roos !!!!!) [​IMG]

How long should I keep the new ones away from the others, to prevent any spread of disease?

Thanks for all the advice.

8. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I am going to get 2 or 3 more hens and I want to get some that are already laying, (since mine have not laid any eggs yet and, well,. . . . . 3 of them are Roos !!!!!) [​IMG]

How long should I keep the new ones away from the others, to prevent any spread of disease?

Thanks for all the advice.

30 days is suggested for quarantine, plus you should check the condition of the birds to make sure they don't have lice/mites or other parasites you'd want to treat before mixing with your other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by