too many roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Deviant, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Deviant

Deviant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    I have 6 Tetra Tint and 3 Wyandotte I know one Wyandotte is a Roo and I think one of my Tetra Tint might be a Roo now (thinks TSC). If they are growing up together will that be fine? I have read that it should be a ratio of 10:1 [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I have 5 roos, just move three to free range and left in the other two- everyone was ganging up on the head roo and excluding him from food and water- fixed now.

Had no trouble reintroducing the head roo after he healed up- he just isn't head roo now.

the other three have no reason to fight so don't

3. Deviant

Deviant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    so do I have too many?

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

IF they are not annoying you or drawing blood from each other or hens (yes yours are chicks right now) they are not too many.

5. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Here is my two cents and what I have found I have two barred rock roos and one silkie roo. All three roos were added later after my established hens. The destroy my first hens. Now the barred rocks have one sister that they grew up with, and my silkie had one sister he grew up with. While they breed with there sisters, they are not as rough with their sisters as they are with my other hens. My silkie and his sister have to live alone, and my barred rock roos will be getting their own coop. If they all have been together since chicks you may not have a problem. My BR roos fight, but usually only over the girls. This has just been my experience and obviously it may not be the same for you. So you may not ever have problems, or you might depending on how aggressive they are with each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by