Too many roosters and breeding?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by johnj16, Feb 19, 2011.

1. johnj16

johnj16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Utah
    I got into the back yard chickens this past summer and have loved my flock. I have 5 RI red hens, 2 White Leghorn hens, and a Jersey Giant hen. I also have three Silkie hens and a buff Silkie rooster. Here is my question: I would like to add a RI Red rooster to my flock. I am assuming that he will try to breed all the hens, but what will he do with the Silkies? Would he try to breed them even though they are so small? How will he react to the Silkie rooster?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    To a rooster, a hen is a hen, even if it looks like it has hair instead of feathers. I had a rooster when I first started that was in love with an umbrella [​IMG]

3. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    This past summer I had one egg hatch out of 8 and it was a roo. I had three mirrors in the brooder and bought a very brightly colored small stuffed dog toy so he wasn't lonely. To this day, his favorite hen to try and breed with is still that stuffed toy that I put out with him in the tractor. He has other girlfriends but is still very attracted to his stuffed girlfriend. [​IMG]

4. Annschooks

Annschooks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire UK
    Quote:I think I'd turn that around and ask what the Silkie will make R.I ? My guess is that he will take very unkindly to the interloper and will most probably fight him.

Apart from which I dread to think what the crosses will turn out like.

5. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    Initially I would keep the silkies separate from the large fowl flock. Your new rooster could be with the other hens. Give it some time and see what happens. The hens may or may not accept him and only time will tell.

6. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:May not accept him? Is that a common thing?

7. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    OMG, that is hysterical!
    Quote:

8. johnj16

johnj16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Utah
    Ok, so I went and got the RI Red rooster. I have him isolated from the rest of the flock. I would like to breed him with a few of my RI Red hens. Do any of you see any problems if I introduce a hen to him and leave the two together for a couple of days, then take the hen to a different pen to lay the eggs? My only concern is knowing for sure that the hen is ready to sit on the eggs for the 21 days? Any advise is appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by