Too Many Roosters-Give away or eat them

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I have too many roosters. I hatched four of them from eggs. Because I have so many, none of them are tame. There are seven that need to go. Everyone around me is in the same boat.

I was raised on a farm and we raised meat birds, 100 every year went into the freezer. I only had to chop the head off of one. I didn't do a very good job, so, didn't do it again. I had no problem helping with the whole process. I want to be responsible but I don't know if I can eat one of my birds now. Should I give them away? I don't want to let them run wild because I have predators. Should I separate all of them and treat them like food? I really don't know what to do.

As much as I love watching them hatch, I don't know if I can do it anymore if I can't get rid of the roosters. Please don't blast me. I am just sick about it.

I love Mrs K's suggestion about keeping your distance so that you're not as bonded. It can definitely make the process easier when it comes time to butcher. As you mentioned earlier with the craigslist stuff falling through, the reality is a lot of times roosters are hard to get rid of. There's always someone trying to rehome a nice cockerel, or even an aggressive rooster that they just can't bear to cull themselves. I think eating them is the best option in this case.
It will get easier to make these kinds of decisions with time. :hugs

Eat.

I don't know their ages, but if you think you might be squeemish about eating a bird you raised and butchered (though you iknow what it ate, and that it had a good life until that last moment), I'd recommend preparing it in a way that doesn't liook like chicken - braise it, shred it, mix it w/ bar b q sauce and throw it on a bun. Grind it for sausage. If its young and tender enough, grill it, cut it fine, and make chicken salad. Give it a yogurt marinade, turn it into curry. etc etc etc.

Try this. Do separate them. Feed and water them, but don't stand and watch them, this helps distance you a bit. Then when you cull them, BUY some store chicken and mix up the pieces with the home harvested ones. It will help.

We have all been here. It is tricky and hard, but it does get better.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom