Too Many Roosters in the Hen House

Bird Lady Outlaw

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2017
Wheeling Wv
:yaHeyyyyy Ya'll Im Amanda and I'm brand new to raising chickens and this group. I thought I'd reach out for advice. I have 2 subjects to touch on. First, I bought 8 chicks from Tractor Supply and was led to believe they were all sex link. Turns out I have 4 roosters. Ive heard its not a good idea to have too many roosters. HELP! Also theyre 4 wks and growing too big for the brooder. Can they come out? I bought a decent coop and made them a pretty big run out of chain link fence. its about 4 ft tall. Will they fly out? And what should I use in the coop? Pine or straw? What about the grass in the run? Cover that also? I'm sorry 1000 questions here :lau Maybe I should get Raising Chickens for Dummies bahaha:plbb

Hi and welcome! I am pretty new on here, too. I have had birds and chickens a lot of years, just not online! Too many roosters is right! Most towns do not allow any!
I have 5 kids. Im wondering if I should have any. Ive heard they can get pretty aggressive. I hate to say it but we may have to eat the roosters one day, i honestly dont think anyone would want to take 4 roosters off our hands! Idk what to do lol

Hi, Amanda, welcome to BYC. Four roosters is at least 3 and maybe 4 too many. They can be moved outside, and eventually depending upon the breed may very well fly out as they mature. Pen should be covered to protect from predation. Pine or straw - your choice. They will 'take care' of the grass. Good luck with your flock.

Hi, Amanda, welcome to BYC. Four roosters is at least 3 and maybe 4 too many. They can be moved outside, and eventually depending upon the breed may very well fly out as they mature. Pen should be covered to protect from predation. Pine or straw - your choice. They will 'take care' of the grass. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I wouldnt know what to do with them :(

Back
Top Bottom