Too many roosters! Is this a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bantu, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    Still debating Rose-Ross sex.. My bantam rooster is trying to seduce it. This has me puzzled. Hatched 1-14. [​IMG]
    But than Brody needs lots of hens! [​IMG]
    If fact he really likes the ducks and the guinea too. Hoping to figure it out asap. My rooster ratio is way too high. So younger boys need new homes. :hit

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    The black one looks like a hen to me.

3. sparton

sparton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa
    Check the neck feathers. Roosters tend to have long pointed neck feathers where hens are short and rounded. From picture it looks like hen; also comb and wattles look small. Another teller is checking for the spur. If your rooster is trying to make sweet sweet love to it; she is probably a hen or you have a very randy rooster.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Looks like a pullet

5. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop

The big girls tend to chase Rose -Ross. around a bit. I was hoping she was a she. I love this baby especially. She hatched with a unabsorbed yolk and covered in a sticky mess. I held her for hours keeping the yolk moist until she absorbed it. Than the work to remove the "glue " from her down. She literally slept in the crook of my neck cupped in by my hand her first day of life. So even if she crows Momma will find a place for him. One or two of her brothers will go.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Then how about Cricket? Hatched the same day. This one is a light Brahma ( mom) with black Copper Marans ( dad ). Do I dare hope. :fl

7. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Any idea on these 3.. Well Einstein is a boy ( barred Rock mix ) the other 2 are the Brahma + Brody and Dark Cornish + Brody. Hatched 2-14.:fl

Was told the light one was female so still hoping the other one is also please Lord 1 boy from this group. I fall in love with the boys! :(

8. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Pic a bit fuzzy but guessing by the combs the one on the left pullet & the one on the right cockerel....Unable to make out the feathering due to angle on the one on the right

9. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Can't see the combs of the one on the left & right (pullets ?), the center one looking cockerel...guessing. They're still young, read on a thread that 'if the comb is down to the beak or past the beak it's a male, if it's stops at the beak or above it's a female'. Just one of many guessing methods.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The comb is pretty pink for only 10 weeks old, and it's still a bit young for obvious male feathering.
    This one is definitely a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by