Too Many Roosters, need advice on shooting them

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Redchkn1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Redchkn1

Redchkn1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Johannesburg, MI
    Hi there to alll. Gotta problem here, I have 5 roosters and they are fighting amongst themselves, so have them penned seperatley. Now they are crowing all day and all night, the neighbors haven't said anything yet, but the roosters are starting to bother MY sleep at night so I can well imagine that they are driving my neighbors nuts. I have a couple of options where I live, One is to take them down to the Amish, the other is to shoot them in the head with a .22. The roosters are a banty mix, and an andalusian/laced wyndotte mix. Neither are going to be great for the meat..., nor is either a candidate for breeding here, already have roosters for that, they just gotta go! All the roo's were hatched here on my farm. I have shot guns before but only at ranges....I'm an okay shot at distance. Can I shoot these birds up close and personal? how far does a .22 bullet go?? If I use hay bales behind (the roos) them will the hay bales stop the bullet? I live in northern michigan, so I can shoot them and not get intp trouble with the law, but I don't want bullets bouncing around in the wooded area that I live in...lol. Please don't offer other suggested methods of killing, such as breaking their necks, my veterinarian friend already said that is the best way......don't think I am strong enough to get that method done right the first time. Any advice is appreciated!!

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

my husband has shot a roo and didn't use hay bales or anything....we have woods behind us.....have you tried craigslist?

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would offer them of CL first or take them to the amish even a bantam could be used as a meal by someone.

4. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    chickens have a tinny brain hard to hit try shooting a marble at distance if you can hit that 10 times out of 10 go ahead and shoot them but remember a moving chickens brain is like trying to shoot a bumble bee in flight.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Why not make a killing cone out of a gallon milk bottle and cut their throats? It might be a little safer? Just a suggestion.

6. macadam8157

macadam8157 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Yes agreed def try CraigsList first. But if that dont work you can ring there necks with a broom or shovel handle. But the cone is also good if you dont mind a lil mess, just get a cleaver and off with there heads. Hope you find a easy solution.

7. Redchkn1

Mar 22, 2010
    Johannesburg, MI
    Okay, I thought about craiglist, not an option as someone mentioned there are people that will use the roo's for cockfighting and or for pitbull use, northern michigan is a plce where all the deviants in michigan come to hide out (lol), plus I need to KNOW that they would be going to a GOOD home, dispencing my problem onto some else is just not an option for me. I'm one of those that will euthanise an animal that is past it's prime rather then to wonder if it's "okay" and being treated right. Gave away, and took back several animals BEFORE I came to that conclusion, one was a twenty year old mare, that I thought was going to a good home...wrong, 6 monthes later she was skin and bones, repossed her, and put her down. Vet check before said no problems except LACK of FOOD!

I know chickens have small brains hence the question of can I get up close and personel? It's a .22 revolver, not to be gross, but is that gooing to "explode" the head?

If I had a bottle of euthasol I wouldn't be this hesitant, and the deed would already be done.....

These are like 2-3 pound roo's there's just not much meat on them.

If there was a chicken person within 50 miles of where I live, they are welcome to them, however I have checked around and everyone's pretty set on the whole roo thing right now.

8. Redchkn1

Mar 22, 2010
    Johannesburg, MI
    Quote:Because I'm squemish about the blood

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    If your neighbors are close enough to be potentially bothered by your crowing roosters, you are too close to them to be safely using a gun. Buck up and use a knife.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Shooting is NOT the best way, as your chances of actually hitting the brain are VERY minimal unless you are an excellent shot. I would not advise such at all.

I know you're squeamish about blood, but really, the most humane and fastest way to get it done is by (and perhaps have someone else do it?) chopping the head off, either with an ax or with a pair of pruning shears (the best option - clean, quick, and with no mistakes!)

Your other option is to just plain sell them, for example on Craigslist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by