1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too Many Roosters .... ugh!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by todtrac, Dec 17, 2010.

1. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Just my luck.. In July I bought 4 silkie peeps and 7 silkie eggs, hatched 5...Out of the nine birds I have been raising I believe 7 possibly eight are roosters. The largest rooster and most colorful one has been the king of the coop until recently. I would say two nights ago one of the younger roosters attaked him and beat him up. Ripping his comb and head feathers. It isn't a pretty sight, now my main rooster is in hiding but still getting attacked. What to do??... Does anyone want some roosters??... HELP!!

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Well of course you need to separate them. They are gonna fight for dominance.
    The most dominate roo may not be your best one so you don't want a lesser quality bird to be ruling the roost so to speak.
    I am too far away to help but maybe run an ad in Craigslist and sell or give away the unwanted roos.

3. Crabman

Crabman Out Of The Brooder

7 or 8 out of nine, what a bummer. Don`t try gambling or the lottery any time soon!

4. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Quote:Great idea, I will post on Craiglist... bring on the HENS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by