Too many roosters!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fradytrc, Feb 23, 2016.

1. fradytrc

fradytrc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    I have a flock of 9 adult chickens......6 roosters and 3 hens....I know that is out of whack...bear with me a moment...At the end of December I had 7 roosters and 6 hens. Well all on the same day my #1 roo ( a white leghorn) and 1 white bantam hen were killed by a weasel we think. I found them in the coop several hours apart. So that leaves 6 roos and 5 hens. 4 of the roos are game bantams and 2 are huge orpingtons. The reason I have so many bantams roos is because the person I got them from told me they were all hens at 8 weeks....He lied!!!!...Any way last week 1 bantam hen disappeared and now this week another bantam hen is gone. That leaves the 6 roosters and now 3 hens...1 bantam and 2 welsummers.

The problem is the 4 bantam roos fight with each other all the time. The head rooster won't allow the orpingtons to each with them. 2 of the bantams fight to draw blood quite often. I'm working on replenishing my hens but my chicks are still very young.

What should I do about all these roosters?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You need to select the one roo you wish to keep and put all the rest out on Craig's List, if you're in the USA, or advertise on radio or newspaper "free roosters to a good home".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by