Too many roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by csneill, Jun 17, 2016.

1. csneill

csneill Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    Northeast Nebraska
    I've read about the various ratios for roosters to hens. I have a flock of 25 birds currently. One of the 25 is a 16 week old EE who turned out to be a rooster. I also have a group of 7- 6 week old welsummers- got a straight run. 4 pullets/3 cockerels. I know that's going to be too many roosters to hens for a good ratio. What kind of problems am I looking at if I tried to keep them all and didn't rehome any? Is there any chance they'll all get along? I won't sacrifice my hens well being for the roosters but was just curious on people's thoughts.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    That is four roosters to 21 hens. How much space do they have? Free range or in a run? 4 to 21 is 5.25 hens apiece (the poor hen that got split, lol) which could be fine if they are free range or in a large run. If they don't have a lot of space, they might fight, but some fighting is normal. A lot is bad. I think you could keep them all without many problems, but if they start fighting a lot be ready to rehome one.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The only way to know is to give it a try. There are no absolutes when dealing with living animals. There could be fighting, there could be over mating that causes stress to your hens. Have a plan in place to reduce your number of roosters immediately if you run into trouble.

4. csneill

Oct 10, 2015
    Northeast Nebraska
    They have plenty of coop space- about 4 sq ft each. They free range all day in our yard & pasture. Space shouldn't be too much of an issue. It won't bother me to rehome if I need to. We really wanted a welsummer rooster since we lost one last fall. My fear is I'll give a couple of the cockerels away & then the one I keep will end up dead in a week- cause that's my luck! The EE was supposed to be a pullet! We'll just wait & see how everyone behaves. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The real issue you will have is over breeding and the Cock fights over the hens. Two Roosters is the max you really need.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I think it should be fine. Worst case scenario you have to get rid of one.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That is minimal space.... IMO.....and maybe not enough when 2 cock/erels are involved.
    Especially if you're in a climate with harsh winters that may result in them all being cooped up due to extreme weather.
    You might get lucky and 2 of the Wellie boys will figure out a balance of power acceptable to both.
    I'd have some wire dog crates, or other enclosures, to isolate the boys for 'testing' of the others......
    ......course ya never know until you know, and you may not know until they are over a year old.

1 person likes this.
  8. csneill

Oct 10, 2015
    Northeast Nebraska

Thanks aart for the advice. I'll be ready to separate boys if I need to. We do live in Nebraska and winters get long. I don't want to cause problems by overloading my coop when it gets cold & snowy & they're stuck inside more. We'll see how things go for now I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by