1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

too many roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Suky, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Suky

Suky New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Maine
    I have gotten 3 bantam roosters and can't find homes for them even with some serious begging.
    I do want to keep one for my 10 hens, but I can't bear to cull the others (I did have one euthanized bc he had a genetic defect).
    They seem to chase each other every now and then, but no major brawls. The girls don't seem to be being abused.
    Can I/should I keep more than one rooster?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You can keep more than one rooster if they are not harming your hens by overmating them. If they are, then you have to step up as a responsible chicken owner and do what needs to be done, even if that means culling one or two to protect your other birds.

Another option would be a bachelor coop and run where the extra roosters live alone, if that's something you'd want to do.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Ditto Dat^^^

4. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Yes, you can most certainly keep more than one rooster in each flock IF you have the right amount of hens/and they aren't getting beat up...I have way more than 1 rooster in each flock, and apart form the occasional fight, or the top cockerels bossing the younger ones about, I don't see too many problems.

If your guys were raised together, then you shouldn't see any major fights, if they have been raised together. However, if you have an 'Alpha' rooster you'll catch him boss the younger ones around---which could mean that he wont let the younger ones mate when hes in sight, or they could be the last ones to eat etc. Its like how hens have their pecking order, so do roosters.

Like @Pyxis mentioned, if you want, you can put the extra cockerels in a bachelor coop and run. But if things are running smoothly, you might not need too.

What breeds are your hens? I personally, wouldn't worry too much if your roosters are smaller than your hens. But if you have young cockerels, then keep a close eye on them, because often in young cockerels, you'll see their hormones rage for a bit...and then they will settle down for a while.

Enjoy your flock [​IMG]

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    As stated, it might work. The thing is, it might not work. One needs to be prepared to separate roosters, or they can fight to the death. Wishing chickens will just be nice and get along does not work. Watch your girls, are they calm, out pecking around, eating well and laying consistently with the season? Then things are going fine for now. Roosters can and do coexist. However, they can change their mind about this in what seems like a second.

If they start crowing incessantly, if you start to see posturing, puffing up, flying at each other. That may be as far as it goes, or they can fight bloody or to death.

If you keep more than one rooster, you need a plan B set up, so that you can separate roosters at once. You need more of a plan than 'just hope for the best'. You need a fish net or a hook to separate the birds safely for you and a cage to place them in. Because roosters are a crap shoot, some of them work, and some don't, some do today and not tomorrow.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by