Too Many Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Maxine Green, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Maxine Green

Maxine Green Just Hatched

Nov 19, 2016
    Greencastle, IN
    Currently I have a flock of 15 chickens - some Jersey Giants, some Australorps. This including an older greying hen, 10 seven month old hens and 4 same age roosters.
    I am planning to buy a run of Jersey Giant chicks in June. In the meantime I am sending roosters to the freezer.
    My question is do I send all 4 or keep one and if I keep one, how do I decide which one to keep (not personally attached to any)? Also how will he be with the new chicks?
    Thank you
    Maxine

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG] What are your goals? Do you want to hatch future flock replacements? Are you ok with having a few cockrels around and processing them for meat? If those are both yes, then... I'd choose the nicest roo (the one that treats the hens good, and is not at all people aggressive. You'll also want to take his body conformation into account as well) and make casserole out of the other three. Most roos are good with chicks. My roo loves his babies. But your cockrels are young yet, and have not got past the jerky teen ager stage, so you'll have to supervise this. Many of us have found that it's best to integrate chicks into the flock while they are still peeps. But, you can't just throw them in with the older birds. They need plenty of room, and supervision to start, as well as safe means of getting away from an aggressor.

3. Maxine Green

Nov 19, 2016
    Greencastle, IN
    Yes, in the future I will let hens hatch their eggs if they want, but not this summer. I want to increase my Jersey Giant numbers first.
    And yes, my plan is to have cockerels processed for meat.
    So now to figure out which one has the best behavior and conformation.
    I am new to chickens. This is my first flock, so I will post pictures here for help figuring out the best.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you have a fondness for JG, you might want to get a JG roo. Why settle for just any old roo, when you want more JG in your flock?

5. Maxine Green

Nov 19, 2016
    Greencastle, IN
    Perfect, I was starting to think about that.
    4 for the freezer.
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by